Preparing for Adventure
Planning a trip outside, even for a short daytime hike, should always include some essential planning and prepping steps to ensure your well-being and safety. Print off this handy checklist for yourself, a friend, or that teenager in your life to ensure that the next adventure does not go awry. It’s always better to be overly prepared for a little journey than to be underprepared for an unexpected, big adventure.
Make a Plan: It’s best to travel in pairs, or more. Buddy up and then tell someone where you are going and what time you expect to be back. Check in with them once you are home to let them know you made it safely.
Make a List:
- Hiking shoes or trail shoes to get you there and back
- Backpack to hold all the essentials
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and hat to protect yourself from the sun, even on cloudy days
- My favorite sunscreens Goddess Garden Sport Stick and Aveeno Positively Mineral Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion – each brand has several different options to try too!
- My favorite sunglasses are Rayban’s Wayfarer Sunglasses, however I tend to drop and/or misplace mine often and tend to purchase the knock off versions!
- First Aid Kit for any scrape or injuries*
- Knife or multi-purpose tool*
- My favorite (husband’s too) is the Gerber Diesel Multi-Plier
- Waterproof matches, flashlight and whistle in case of emergency*
- Food and water, including a portable purifier or purifying tablets* if you run out of water
- Rain gear* and some spare dry clothing
- Map and compass, because cell phone reception and GPS may not always be available
- Camping gear for overnight trips, including shelter and sleeping bag
Make No Mess: Leave no trace as you trek your way through the woods. In fact, try to leave Mother Nature more beautiful than how you found her. What you pack in, you should also pack out.
To cover some of your day trip essentials, check out the Day Trip Survival Bag or Watertight Survival Box from my company Southern Belle Products. It covers many of the essentials above, so that you are ready for just about anything Mother Nature brings your way. Great for all day hikes or quick trips into the backcountry. For extended trips, the Bug Out Bag and First Aid Kit together will help cover your ass(ets) so that you are ready for almost anything in the great outdoors. An * means those items may be included in one of the hand packaged kits from my company!
Disclaimer: affiliate links mean I may get paid if you may a purchase